Our client, a leading pharmaceutical company, is hiring a Legal Assistant/Paralegal on a contract basis.
1. Strong knowledge of US and foreign patent procedures
2. Monitors progress of patent cases and patent attorney/agent dockets through use of USPTO Private PAIR, IP Management Software and Document Management System
3. Prioritizes current workload efficiently building on the ability to handle multiple heavy dockets and learning best practices to manage multiple tasks including managing outside counsel e-mail review.
4. Reviews patent application files to check for compliance with USPTO requirements and Bclient department standards
5. Strong knowledge and working experience of the USPTO EFS web filing system in order to independently draft and prepare simple to moderately complex patent legal documents for submission to the USPTO including (but not limited to) patent applications, figures, sequence listings, amendments, information disclosure statements, office action responses, requests for continued examination, notices of appeal, reply briefs, allowance checklists, allowed claims, issue fee payments, etc.
6. Independently drafts and assists with attorney responses to worldwide foreign patent agents
7. Familiarity with the Code of Federal Regulations (Title 37) and the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP) to enable ability to identify legal issues/problems based on knowledge of PTO procedures
8. Basic knowledge of Patent Term Adjustment
9. Excellent organizational and accountability skills, takes initiative to follow up with inventors, outside counsel law firms and agents to meet critical deadline dates
10. Sets own standards of performance and works to meet standards; takes initiative to expand own knowledge of PTO rules.
1. Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, SharePoint, MS Teams
2. Proficient knowledge of IP Management Software and Document Management Software
3. Proficient form editing capability in Adobe Acrobat Pro
4. Proficient in use of basic to advanced forms including IP Management Software generated forms.
5. Basic skills and experience with Patent-In software to generate sequence listings.
6. Proficient knowledge of domestic and foreign patent databases, e.g., PCT Scope; EPO Online
7. Ability to search and procure patent references including U.S. and Foreign patents and journal articles.
8. Proficient edit capability in Chemdraw
1. Process and reconcile expense reports
2. Travel Arrangement
3. Organizes meetings for attorneys/agents including meeting agenda and meeting minutes preparation
4. Seeks out opportunities to provide support to others (e.g., counsel, agents, and assistants)