Our client, a leading pharmaceutical company, is hiring a Software Engineer (PAGA) on a contract basis.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (MANAGER/SR MANAGER LEVEL)
PIPELINE, ASSET, AND GOVERNANCE ANALYTICS (PAGA)
PAGA is a full-time internal strategy consulting group situated within the Business Insights and Analytics (BIA) organization. With the goal of enabling value-driven decisions, PAGA Analysts facilitate Development Teams in identifying compelling development strategies, and generate valuation analyses of possible development paths. PAGA Analysts derive insights into the tradeoffs among the options, and clearly communicate findings to their teams and to senior management.
A subgroup within PAGA, Pipeline Analytics (PIPAN) is responsible for onboarding, training, and capabilities development for the department as a whole. PIPAN consists of experienced analysts with technical expertise in tool development, data science, and decision analytics. As we see the importance of integrated analytics ever increasing, PIPAN is looking to expand its remit to encompass a new frontier: a data-driven software ecosystem to enable value-driven R&D decisions.
To meet this challenge, PIPAN seeks a generalist Software Engineer who is passionate about transforming patients' lives through analytics. The work products of this role will have both an immediate impact on the business, and the longer-term effect of helping to speed new treatment options to patients with unmet medical needs. The successful candidate will design, implement, and orchestrate entirely new tools and applications that leverage data and AI.
The role requires:
• A mission-driven self-starter who is comfortable working independently towards a clear goal, but with limited granular guidance on implementation.
• Rapid prototyping of solutions in partnership with a small group of experts.
• Collaborating with Data Scientists and Software Engineers across the corporation on larger scale projects.
PAGA promotes a growth mindset within a collegial culture where everyone's voice is heard. Our fast-paced, start-up-like environment requires a passion for solving problems, willingness to learn from others, quick and creative thinking, and an open mind when discussing new ideas.
Principal Role Responsibilities:
• Collaborate across PIPAN and PAGA to investigate design approaches, determine build specifications, evaluate technical feasibility, and prototype new technology
• Implement best practices in building and deploying fit-for-purpose software solutions that empower PAGA analysts
• Engineer a software ecosystem that synergizes external and internal software tools
• Produce code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise
• Design and implement AI-ready databases in-house
• Coordinate with IT to ensure solution quality, scalability, and integrability with enterprise systems
• Bachelors Degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science
• A minimum of one year of experience as a Software Engineer
• Strong CS fundamentals (Data Structures, Algorithms, Systems Design, and Operating Systems)
• Proficient in Python, Java, and C/C++
• Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases
Preferred Qualifications (desirable but not required):
• Experience building software for biotech, pharma, or other healthcare applications
• Experience creating databases in a large enterprise context
• Demonstrated proficiency with big data tools, such as Hadoop, Spark, and Kafka
• Demonstrated proficiency with AWS cloud services, such as EC2, EMR, RDS, and Redshift
• Experience with React, Angular, and/or Vue)
• Experience building API driven services
• Experience with statistical computing using R or SAS
• Exposure to the drug development process