Our client, a leading financial services company is hiring for a Unix SME Consultant on a long term contract basis.
New York, NY (Hybrid Option)
The client is looking for a Unix SME to join our team in NY, however, broad knowledge of all major topics is critical. The successful candidate will lead the continuance development of automation and self-service of Labs, primarily coding/scripting in Python andor Perl.
– New Automation design and development of automation tools aimed at increasing overall team and lab efficiency, and reduce duplication of effort.
– Design and development of new lab services, similar to the existing ongoing development of the Innovation Lab in public cloud (coded mostly in Python).
– Labs group is involved in evaluation, certification, integration, and maintenance of various Lab systems, including hardware, Operating Systems, such as Red Hat Linux, system services (DNS, DHCP, NTP, syslog, etc.), file systems (NFS, AFS, Hadoop and various cluster file systems), High Availability, Virtualization technologies and a variety of in-house developed tools.
– The client interacts with a high number of internal customers from numerous business units to provide infrastructure for POC’s / testing.
– Carry out proactive health & hygiene tasks to maintain operational stability and compliance for risk & control programs to ensure the production environment is not put at risk.
– Collaborate with engineering teams to test and certify new hardware & software products
– Experience of supporting, managing and debugging Unix / Linux environments
– Understanding of the virtualization and microservices and physical infrastructures
– In depth experience Linux System administration, preferably Red Hat Linux
– Knowledge of clustering technologies preferably Veritas Cluster Server or any other similar with high availability product conception
– Ability to read and write code on any Unix shell environment, Perl and/or Python
– Knowledge of TCP/IP, experience with host level networking and security concepts, implementation, and troubleshooting
– Ability to debug complex problems
– Experience with Change Management and Problem management practices
– Effective oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills are essential, as well as the ability to work well in a global team environment
– Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and high pressure situations for outage handling, management or resolution
Nice to have:
– Understanding of SANs and NAS Storage Devices
– Knowledge of Veritas Cluster Server or similar high availability product
– Veritas Volume Manager
– An understanding of Problem and Change Management Practices
– Experience with analyzing and diagnosing kernel carsh/core dumps, network packet captures and identifying the root cause of problem.
– Sound knowledge of networking, TCP/IP, Layer 2/3 network design, firewall, switches and routers etc.
– Experience working in a DevOps environment.
– Knowledge and experience with various server hardware models and vendors i.e. Dell, HP, IBM, etc.
Additionally, the ideal candidate should be
– Flexible and adaptable to meet the team’s targets
– Honest, hardworking, and reliable
– Possess a strong sense of ownership/accountability
Pay Rate:$58- $73/hour